Sometimes, you don’t want a category to appear in the Category Cloud widget in your sidebar.
Here’s how to exclude a category from the Category Cloud widget in WordPress.com.
1) In your WordPress.com Dashboard, go to Appearance > Widgets, Category Cloud Widget.
(If you don’t already have a Category Cloud Widget, you can drag it from the left-hand widgets to your sidebar on the right-hand area.)
2) If it’s not already expanded, click the down arrow next to Category Cloud to expand it and see the options.
3) In the field called Exclude, it says “Category IDs, separated by commas”. That means you need to enter the category ID which is a number, not a word.
4) To find the category ID, go to Posts > Categories, then click on the category you want to exclude.
If you look at the website address on your browser, it should say something like this:
Do you see where it says tag_ID=54? That should be your Category ID number. (Your number would probably not be 54, it would be some other number.) That’s the number you need to put in the Category Cloud Widget.
5) Go back to Appearance > Widgets, Category Cloud widget and place that number in the Exclude field. Then click the Save button to save your changes.
Alternatively, if you don’t want a category name to appear in the Category Cloud, for example, “Uncategorizable”, you can just rename that category. I usually rename it to “General” or something like that.